1. Quite a task Olga and you have been reviewing the books so critically. Congrats

1. olganm says:

Thanks so much, Parveen. Quite a few to come. I hope you get the home situation sorted out. Terrible thing (and as they say here, and it’s definitely true in your case) it couldn’t have happened to someone nicer. Do take care and my best wishes to your family too.

2. Ha! OMG what a quotable quote — Mallery’s words thunder off the page like a cattle stampede. That’s fabulous, Olga. You already had me interested in The Dolan Girls, but that cinches it. 😀
    And then another treat with Christoph’s latest stroke of brilliance. What a bunch of great characters to come onto one blog post. Mega hugs to you all! 🙂

1. olganm says:

Thanks, Teagan. Oh, I’ve been watching Heartland in recent weeks (I’m up to series 6, waiting for more to become available for streaming) and I’ve taken quite a liking to horses, cowboys and girls… S.R. loves her historical fiction and she’s working on a new blog where she’ll share her research too, so I hope that’s all ready by the time I share my own review.
      And Christoph… Well, one never knows what rabbitt he’ll pull out of his hat next, although I know he loves the research aspect too, so I couldn’t help but bring them together.
      Have a lovely holiday 🙂

1. I am honored to be “brought together” with such a wonderful author. Thanks, Olga!

1. olganm says:

Always a pleasure to have you and I always like to give readers a bit of choice (although most seem to like both… Unsurprisingly) 🙂

2. Don’t know about the ‘thunder’ part, Teagan, LOL, but if you get it, hope you enjoy. There’s a lot of history in it as well as romance.
      I had a BLAST researching it!

3. Thank you so much for this post Olga and thanks Teagan and Parven for your comments. Happy Friday to you all – it is now for me <3

1. olganm says:

Christoph, it sounds like a must. The type of book children (well, perhaps older children) should read in school to understand what all those experiences meant, especially in these times, when although circumstances are different, so many people are still trying to escape war. Have a great weekend. And keep me posted. 🙂

4. Oh my, looks like The Dolan Girls and Ludwika will be added to my list of books to read. Your reviews are excellent, and have really helped me in choosing good reads…..Thank you so much and hope you have a lovely weekend. Janet.

1. olganm says:

Thank you, Janet. Sometimes I go on a limb with the recommendations, but with these two authors I’m in safe ground, as I’ve read them both and they are great. Have an amazing and magical weekend!

1. olganm says:

I’m so pleased to hear that. It’s a very original story and fascinating characters. 🙂

Thanks, Sally!

5. Ludwika sounds like an excellent book, and I shall certainly be getting it. I read a very good book called, I think, “A woman in Berlin” about a German women who was in Berlin ( obviously ) and suffered the unsavoury attentions of the Russian soldiers after they had occupied the city. It is a start reminder of man’s inhumanity to man when all pretence of being civilised” is cast aside.

1. olganm says:

Thanks, Peter. You’re very right. Often historical books can’t quite portray how things were for the ones who didn’t make the decisions but had to suffer the consequences. It’s a great thing that now the experiences of everyday people (not only generals and politicians) are being recorded and shared. Let’s hope that helps remind people that wars aren’t only about numbers.

6. Stop recommending such interesting books – I can’t keep up!

1. olganm says:

Believe me, Sarah, my Kindle is full to the brim. But then, I wouldn’t swap that for having nothing at all to read, that’s for sure. Too much choice! What a luxury!

7. Reblogged this on writerchristophfischer and commented:
    Strong women in fiction and history honoured in this blog post by Olga NM:
    #Newbooks ‘The Dolan Girls’ by S.R. Mallery (@SarahMallery1) and ‘Ludwika’ by Christoph Fischer (@CFFBooks).

8. Of the two books I think the Dolan Girls appeals to me most. Great reviews.

1. olganm says:

Thanks, Maria. I’m very much in the western mood recently, so I hope to get to it early in the year…

9. Both of these sound like they would make compelling feature films, especially Christoph’s book, which will be winging its way into my Kindle library one day soon!
    Thanks, Olga, hope you have an enjoyable weekend.

1. olganm says:

Thanks so much, Pete. I thought I had replied to you before (I wonder if I forgot to press the thing). I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. Have a great weekend.

10. Reblogged this on Barrow Blogs: and commented:
    Olga’s Friday post – Ludwika by Christoph Fischer and The Dolan Girls by S.R. Mallery. Sound to be great reads

Thanks, Judith

11. Thank you SO much for featuring my western here, Olga! I’m also thrilled to be on the same featured page as Christoph!! xoSarah

Thanks, Sarah. Always a pleasure. I thought it was nice to have variety. 🙂

12. macjam47 says:

This looks like a good one, Olga.

1. olganm says:

I’ve been tracking both books for a while, since I first heard about them, Michelle. And from my experience of both authors’ work, I’m sure they’ll be fabulous.