Hi Olga and thanks for the shout-out. I’m glad to see you further exploring this idea. The “happily living alone by choice” topic is clearly calling to you. 🙂
    I know I’ve already said, but I think it’s a great idea — book and posts too! :star:

I have no plans for a nonfiction book. But I’ve written (ghost) motivational things in my job. Also I do a weekly motivational mini-post at LinkedIn called Thriving Thursdays. So I guess that would be my nonfiction calling.
    Though it was many years ago, I was writing a book about metaphysical properties of gemstones. Still unfinished…

Go for it with this book. Mega hugs!

Thanks, Teagan, for your ongoing support. I’ve caught up with your Thriving Thursday post every so often (I’m never sure how my notifications work anywhere… There’s a non-fiction book I don’t want to write) and I remember you mentioned your motivational quotes when we were talking about content for the radio programme. The book on the metaphysical properties of gemstones sounds fascinating. Perhaps you could share some on your blog at some point…
      At the moment I have some topics and I’m making notes, but thinking about doing some research and gathering some of the advice or suggestions I like (and also resources for further reading)…

2. JP McLean says:

I’ve not been alone for quite some time, Olga, but if I found myself there, I think I’d find it useful to learn tips on how to travel alone without feeling isolated or unsafe.

Thanks, Jo-Anne. That’s definitely one of the topics that I also think should be attractive to many people. I follow quite a few blogs on travelling and it would be a subject that I’d also enjoy checking out…

3. sally cronin says:

I think it is an excellent idea Olga and find that my non-fiction is actually easier to market than fiction. Espeically if, as you have done, research the current available books on the subject and find that there are few with the same concept.. such as happily living alone… which might be an option for the title! With the internet we have an opportunity to find that niche market anywhere in the world and since you also publish in Spanish I would have thought that this book would have a very wide audience.

Thanks, Sally. Reading your post (and I know you are very experienced writing both fiction and non-fiction) and previous comments, it occurred to me that apart from a fairly generic book, if there was an interest in the topic, a series looking at some of the topics in more detail might be interesting. I like the title suggestion too! I have a few of my own but some I’m not that convinced about. I hope to bring some of the ideas for topics in coming weeks see where I go from there…

Interesting subject, Olga. From what I’ve read in articles and have even seen a documentary, it appears more singles choose to live alone. You don’t need to leave your house because of things like Skype and all the social media. If you’re house-bound it’s also a bonus when you have this technology at your fingertips. After divorce, women are living alone more because they want to. Men aren’t in a rush to commit and enjoy living alone–the younger generation anyway. Widowers, not so much.
    Already the younger generation talk to each other by texting their girlfriends. When’s the last time we heard anyone talk to someone in person? That’s my two cents worth.
    Women want to travel. Just because they’re married doesn’t mean they have a willing travel companion, which can be a problem, but a woman will make plans with a girlfriend and go anyway or hook up with another woman the tour / travel place has so they can share hotel rooms and not pay the single price. On the other hand, women are sometimes willing to pay the single price just so they can travel. 😀

Thanks, Tess. It’s true indeed. Either people who decide from the beginning to stay alone or people who end up alone, there are more and more people in that situation. Travel is one of the things I hope to write about and you’re right about women travelling alone or with other women. Of course, I know you have a lot of tips on writing as I follow your blog, so might use some of your tips…:)

Hello Olga! Oh my, your mind is like a computer. I don’t know how you can do so much. I believe if you want to delve into the non-fiction arena, you should––without a doubt. I think you can achieve anything you set your mind to. I also like the theme you’re thinking about and I believe posts on the subject would be interesting as well. Good luck (not that you need it) and continued success. 😀 xx

Thanks, Vashti. I think this is going to be a slow burner that hopefully will grow in the background. And I’ll look for inspiration from bloggers. Have a great week!

The old adage, “write about what you know about” rings true here, Olga. I am sure that you have much to offer.

Thanks so much, Pete. I hope you’re feeling better now.

7. Michelle James says:

Hi Olga, I have never lived alone, so I can even begin to identify with it, but I have several friends who have suddenly found themselves alone after their spouses died or they’ve divorced. Most have opted to live alone while one married simply for companionship. I think you would find a large audience of women who are faced with the prospect of living alone or finding a partner. So, I would definitely say, go for it.

Thanks, Michelle. I think I’ll try some posts on some of the topics I’m thinking about covering and I’ll be working on it when I can. Thanks for the encouragement. 🙂

Hi Olga. What a great idea. As you know, I’m a nonfiction author. I write about my real life experiences to share with others so that they can take something from my writing. My first book, memoir was about growing up with a narcissistic mother, the effects it left and how I endured. I found many readers related to this. My other book is based on how I developed my own self esteem from having none. My third book was my funny and not so funny journey through menopause. And my latest book is about some of my travel adventures and my weakness for traveling with too much luggage. I’m currently writing a sequel to my memoir, the aftermath, after my mother passed away. As you can see these topics are quite diverse but all encompass my own experiences, what I learned, how I handled things, and hopefully shared lessons for readers. 🙂

Thanks, Debby. Yes, I understand why many readers would relate to your books and I hope I’ll get to read some of them (at least) soon. I’m used to writing for work and academic writing but I don’t fancy writing about any of those topics. 🙂

9. authortranslatorOlga » Blog Archive » #Bookreview Three books by women for everybody @SarahMallery1 @KimHeadlee and @sgc58 #TuesdayBookBlog says:

[…] (I don’t want to disrupt the award process, although I’ll let you know the results), keep looking for ideas and feedback on my non-fiction project… We shall […]