It’s an exciting review, Olga. I didn’t realize Steven King had a writer son, but I can see the family resemblance.
    Even though I’m not a big fan of horror, this book sounds enjoyable. Except that I’m particularly afraid of fires, having had a couple of near misses. LOL, maybe I should think twice before I pick it up — or read one of his other stories. 😀
    Wishing you and your mom well. Mega hugs.

Thanks so much, Teagan. I definitely recommend the other books I’ve read and if you don’t have a lot of time (I know you don’t) the short stories one might be an easier one to find time for. I think he has another son who also writes, but I haven’t come across him yet. Yes, there is a family resemblance for sure.

2. Let's CUT the Crap! says:

Wishing you and your mom the best and especially a fast recovery for her. <3 <3
    I had no idea who Joe Hill was. What a surprise. Now I want to read his books too. I haven't read all Stephen King's books, but I have a couple shelves packed with enough reading to last a year and can't wait to get to them again s.o.o.n.
    Quite an in-depth review, Olga. Thank you. 😎 <3

Thanks very much, Tess. So far so good. I think I discovered him at the library. I remember they chose the name Joe Hill because of the Swedish-American labor activist of that name. I read good things about his first book and I’ve been trying to catch up with his books ever since. I think it’s quite tricky to read all of King’s books as he’s quite prolific but I’ll keep going. The talent definitely runs in the family (and the looks it seems do too…)

1. Let's CUT the Crap! says:

I have promised myself to look out for Joe’s books in the Charity books store every week–tomorrow is my shift. 😀 Thanks for the introduction, Olga, not that I know WHEN I’ll get to his book(s) when I find one. o_O

Thanks, Tess. I know perfectly well what you mean. After reading that book and the comments I’ve started checking for ‘The Stand’. I did find a version in Spanish but I’d rather read it in English. That one is well over 1000 pages so I don’t know if I’ll ever have time to read it but I’ll try. What a luxury, though, to have too many books to read!

3. beetleypete says:

I agree that he looks like his dad!
    Before I got to, ‘a nod to ray Bradbury’, I was already thinking of Fahrenheit 451. However, it seems very different, and looks set to make a great film one day too. Thanks, Olga, I might even buy this one!

Thanks, Pete. It’s a good read indeed, but you’re right, the book is very different (not so much a social commentary, although it does say something about extreme ideology and cults). I think you’re right about the film because some of the descriptions are pretty spectacular too.

1. beetleypete says:

If he is the son of King, then surely a film deal must be possible? x

You’re right. They adapted ‘Horns’ already with Daniel Radcliffe so…

4. Lorna's Voice says:

I hope everything is alright with your mom. Wishing everyone in your family the best, Olga!

Wow, when you review a book, you do such a thorough job! I couldn’t help feeling a bit miffed that this writer has had an advantage from the start, though, given his father’s super-star status and connections. I wonder if he is really talented or if he has a lot of help polishing up his manuscripts? Maybe that’s unfair of me, but I have long felt that there is so much unharvested writing talent out there that will never be discovered because wonderful writers don’t have the money or connections to get their manuscripts to right people. Then there are famous people who publish books and get interviewed on all the talk shows…

Thanks, Lorna. Yes, my Mom is doing well, much better than I expected after the ordeal…
      I know what you mean. From having read a few of his books, I think he does have talent (and indeed very interesting ideas for stories), although yes, it’s not an even playing field. It never is. I’m more annoyed by the ‘celebrities’ whose only talent and claim to fame seems to be… being famous for nothing in particular, and the fact that their books (that I’m sure somebody else writes for them… I hope the pay is reasonable at least) sell tonnes just because of who ‘wrote’ them, even if they might never be read (on only because of the possible ‘scandalous’ nature of the revelations contained in the book). But then, there’s no reason why famous people couldn’t have a talent writing too (and some people are good at many things. I have read several of Carrie Fisher’s novels, for instance, and really like them). And perhaps is not only those people at fault (after all Joe Hill can’t help being born in that family, growing up in a house full of books, and enjoying writing). Readers, publicists, publishing companies invest on safe bets. Indeed I’m not sure I’d like to live in the shadow of Stephen King and being forever compared to him. As I say, many of the comments about this novel refer to ‘The Stand’. Oh well, perhaps we’ll become famous for something. Or some well known writer will adopt us…

1. I never thought about having to live in Stephen King’s shadow…good point!

1. I guess it’s a mixed blessing. I’ve seen children of famous parents who exploit it, despite having none of the talent, those who try to do something completely different to avoid comparisons, the ones who have serious issues (and yes, it can get ugly), and some that seem to run with it and are good natured about it (sometimes better than the parents, sometimes not so much, but…). I think Joe Hill is of the latter. One wonders about these big dynasties of actors (the Redgraves, the Barrymores, in Spain Javier Bardem comes from a long line of filmmakers, I remember Geraldine Chaplin who worked a lot in Spain…). I’m digressing badly! Have a great week!

1. It’s all interesting and something I’ll never have to worry about (and neither will my son)!

2. One never knows! (I have neither kids no success so… definitely no risk in my case!)

3. This all gave me fodder for a post I’ll be doing soon. 🙂

4. Now I’m very intrigued… 🙂

5. I promise you won’t have to wait long…

6. Excellent! 😉

5. jorobinson176 says:

Looks like a fabulous one for my TBR Olga. I hope that you and your mother both feel good and healthy and not stressed very soon. <3

Thanks, Jo. Yes, it’s a very good read. Things are going well so far, but it was a scare. Slowly but surely. Do take lots of care.

6. inesephoto says:

Thank you for the review, Olga! I love the genre and look forward to reading the book.

Thanks, Inese. I hope you’re well. 🙂

1. inesephoto says:

Thank you! Just busy as we all are 🙂

🙂

7. noelleg44 says:

He looks a bit like his dad, doesn’t he? I’ve read several of the King pere’s books and they frightened the hell out of me! This one sounds intriguing, and despite my reluctance to read horror, with Rosie’s encouragement I have expanded my world, so this will get on to my TBR list – thanks to your review! Prayers for your Mom!

1. olganm says:

Thanks, Noelle. My Mom is back home and much better, thanks. Slowly but surely. He does look like his Dad, indeed. As I said I didn’t find it too scary although it has its moments. I hope you enjoy it and he has some fantastic stories if you’re exploring the supernatural…