1. Christoph Fischer says:

This classic author never gets old. Scared me senseless when I was younger and watched some of the Tv adaptations of his work with my older siblings….

You’re so right, Christoph. He keeps getting discovered by new readers. I must say the Tell-tale Heart is one of the most fantastic depictions of a mind descending into madness…

2. Sarah Vernon says:

And I still haven’t read him. Shame on me!

3. Sarah Vernon says:

I’m having trouble getting the like button to load but I do like! It’s happened a few times on here but I’m sure it’s my connection.

Thanks, Pete. I remember listening to the Telltale Heart in audiobook version when I was learning English (I had read it in translation before) and I’ll never forget it.
      I must catch up with that film as I think it caught me traveling.
      Have a lovely weekend.

I so enjoyed this post, Olga. Many times I enjoyed the works of Poe, even old black and white movie versions. 🙂 Thank you for sharing this. Best of luck to you at the book fair. Huge hugs.

Thank you, Teagan. It’s next week and I’m truly looking forward to it (just hoping I can get the banner before I have to leave but… well, we’ll do without it otherwise). I love Poe. Looking forward to tomorrow’s chapter of the Mancer

5. Lynn M. Dixon says:

I just finished teaching The Tell- Tale Heart to a group of Middle schoolers. They are built with suspense for as we all know Poe is the master and very timeless indeed. Lynn M.

He knows how to build up suspense indeed and has a wonderful sense of timing. Some authors never go out of fashion. Thanks so much for you comment, Lynn.

6. Hugh says:

Thanks for sharing this post about one of my hero’s Olga. I would have loved to have met Mr.Poe and I always draw a lot of inspiration from him. He’s certainly up there amongst my favourites.

He’s fabulous, Hugh. He could master a mood and a chill with very few words. You do that very successfully too. Looking forward to meeting you next week. It should be fun!

7. Hugh says:

That’s so very kind of you to say, Olga. Thank you.
    I hope I can give the story I am telling at the book fair a good chance of being enjoyed. Being it’s the first time I’ll be doing something like this I am a tad nervous. I’m looking forward to meeting you as well. I’ve offered to help Christoph out and he’s very gladly taken my offer up. I’m sure it’s going to be a brilliant day.

I’m sure you’ll be great. At least on my part I’ll need all the help I can get. It’s the first book fair I attend and I’m still waiting for some stuff to arrive (but I have the books at least). I’ve also managed to book things to do most of next week, foolishly, but I’m sure I’ll be ready for a nice rest afterwards… And we’ll have fun no matter what! Christoph is a fabulous host.

8. Michelle James says:

When I was twelve years old, my English teacher assigned The Telltale Heart and The Raven for homework. I happened to be babysitting in a big old creaky house that evening and after the children were in bed, I settled down to my homework. I spent the rest of the evening on the phone with my mother, as the readings and being in that house truly had me on edge.

I’m not surprised! He was a master of creating creepy atmosphere… His influence can still be felt. It sounds as if the homework was on the wrong date for you! But you haven’t forgotten it. Thanks, Michelle.

Fascinating post Olga. I hadn’t realized that Edgar Allan Poe died so young. He had a tough life. I love his work––so dark and spine-tingling. Thanks for the links. 🙂 xx

Yes, he had a pretty bad life.I know you like chilling stories and have a talent for writing them too. Thanks, Vashti!

10. inese says:

Edgar Allan Poe is one of my favorite authors. Thank you for this post!

You’re not alone for sure. He’s a favourite for many people and I love him too (I adore creepy stories).